Thursday, July 19, 2012

The Master (Dir. by Paul Thomas Anderson)

I wanted to talk more about films on Plug Gods when I first put this together.  I studied it in school and narrative film might be my greatest passion.  Any cinephile's ears perk at the mention of writer/director 'PTA'.  I am no exception.  He is a bona fide master of film making, and undoubtedly the greatest living filmmaker when it comes to sound design.  He wrote and directed: "Boogie Nights" (1997), "Magnolia" (1999), "Punch Drunk Love" (2002), "There Will Be Blood" (2007) and now we await... "The Master".  Each and every one of the aforementioned flicks is brilliant.  Disagree with me.  Go ahead.  I'll smite you before the end of the opening shot of "Boogie Nights". "The Master" is rumored to be a thinly veiled look at the life of Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard.  However, Philip Seymour Hoffman (who plays the leading role of Lancaster Dodd) denies that the film is about Scientology.  PTA's last film, "There Will Be Blood" examined religious fanaticism as well.  The film also stars Amy Adams as Dodd's wife, Mary Sue (L. Ron Hubbard's wife bore the same name) and controversial actor (previously turned rapper) Joaquin Phoenix.  The film, for the most part has been very hush hush. But we got this shit in late May...

Then in June...

Now... As with "There Will Be Blood," Radiohead's Jonny Greenwood penned the score.  Anderson's joint is out in theaters on Oct. 12, and I have not been this excited for a film... well, ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment