Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Lapalux - Pulse Radio Mix




New EP, When You're Gone, out of February 7th.  Lapalux made his name last year with his cassette only release, Many Faces Out Of Focus.  The mix after the jump was done exclusively for Pulse radio. See the interview they did with him after the jizza too. (it's really good)














Pulse: Hello Lapalux, where are you right now? Lapalux: I'm in a dream within a dream. Stuck somewhere, realising you're dreaming whilst dreaming about dreaming.

Tell us a bit about how you first got started in music production. I played guitar as a kid and bits and pieces of other instruments. I then got introduced to computer music and using all types of different software to make loops and songs through school. I cant remember a time where i haven't been involved in music in one way or another.

You have a very ethereal quality to your sound, what are your most prevalent influences? I've always been more interested in 'beautiful' sounding types of sound rather than harsh and aggressive sounds. All of my work resembles a certain emotion that i try to convey to the listener. I guess it comes from my own music tastes and what I generally find pleasing to my senses.



You initially released Many Faces Out Of Focus on cassette tape last year. What was behind that decision and did you think it would be so popular? I really didn't know how it'd go down but the reception it got was great and really surprising. It's instilled alot of confidence in my art.

Where others try to cram in as much sound as possible there's a lot of space in your music. What relationship do you see between sound and silence in a track? Usually I'll have up to 60 tracks of audio/midi in one song. It's kind of negative space, because theres always something going on even at very low levels. In my mind there is no such thing as silence, especially when it comes to using outboard equipment and field recordings. Personally I love the subtle sounds of life its self and I always try and incorporate them into my music to bring some organic life into it in some way or another.

How important is analogue equipment or techniques in your work? I like my sounds to be rough around the edges a little and have alot of warmth. I don't like working with sounds that are too clean and flat. I use alot of cassette tapes and some analogue equipment. I use alot of effects and processing within the DAW to get the sound I want. That crunchy warm place.

Who do you admire most of the scene and who do you aspire to work with? I'd love to work with "The Books". I've been a massive fan of theirs for years. Its not about the beats with them guys. The focus is on impeccable sampling and offset grooves with acoustic instruments.

Your next artist release comes courtesy of Flying Lotus' Brainfeeder label in February and you've previously released on Pictures Music. What's most important to you when choosing a label to host your music? The most important thing is finding a home suitable to your sound. I've always been a massive fan of Flylo and the Brainfeeder crew so I feel pretty blessed to be a part of that now and be able to release under the Brainfeeder imprint.

What's your focus for 2012? I'm finishing up another EP and an album at the moment and gigging here there and everywhere.

Where can we catch you playing soon?
8th Feb - TBC - Ldn
9th Feb - Gretchen - Berlin
11th Feb - Exil - Zurich
2nd Mar - Village Underground - Ldn

No comments:

Post a Comment