Thursday, May 22, 2014

SELA. - Anniversary


I have been waiting on this from the California-based Flau producer for some time. The project is comprised of an LP made up of original material and a second compilation of SELA's notable previous bandcamp releases. Stream the LP above and the compilation after the jump; read SELA's description of the project description below:
"the idea for 'anniversary' was originally conceived in 2012, and it was supposed to be a 'serious' LP with the release date being the anniversary of my first release/when i started making music (aug 21st 2011).
needless to say, this didn't necessarily happen. the cause being 'life' happening, me scrapping songs, losing inspiration, and just changing my mind in general the more time i spent trying to make this album a reality. the aforementioned took place for a little over a year, and most of the songs/song ideas that were originally intended for this LP resulted in the 3-part 'STRESS' project.
then came fall of 2013. in late july/august, my contract at my previous job ended, which (obviously) resulted in me being unemployed. this is still the case at the time of this writing (feb. 26th, 2014), but i say all this to say; after much time and money spent applying for various things in my area/surrounding cities, i soon realized that i'd be stuck at home with a bit more free time on my hands than i had previously thought.
knowing this, i decided to finally give this idea the time and attention i had envisioned initially. and now here we are. as the project started to flourish, the original theme i had in mind was a bit lost for lack of a better word (especially in terms of timing for the completion/release), but it's all fitting.
i think it's fitting because this is how all of my projects have been. i've never been good at spending a really long (long meaning 2+ months) time on anything i make. if you notice, the first half of this LP is drastically different in terms of mood/tone/production in comparison to the the second half (track 7 and up).
this is because they were all created in succession at two separate times, with me being in two different states mentally and emotionally. it's all self-expression and 'stream of consciousness'. i feel like i'm rambling, but what i'm trying to say is that although the album doesn't really follow a clearly defined theme and is more so just me indirectly paying homage to some of my favorite artists, experiences, and other various things, it's all still 'fitting' in my opinion because it is 'me'. none of it was made with a pre-planned end result in mind.

now it's time to see if any of this matters"

No comments:

Post a Comment