Friday, May 6, 2011

Mystic Bounce - Terrance Hayes

I've been making my way through Terrance Hayes' fourth collection of poetry, Lighthead, which won the National Book Award for poetry.  Hayes draws from a vast assortment of influences ranging from high culture to hip hop while maintaining a distinct poetic voice throughout even as he plays with various forms.


One of Hayes' poems shares a title with a Madlib song: Mystic Bounce.  The poem and song are included below.

,




Mystic Bounce
BY Terrance Hayes

Even if you love the racket of ascension,
you must know how the power leaves you.
And at this pitch who has time for meditation?
the sea walled in by buildings. I do miss
the quiet, don't you? When I said, "Fuck the deer
antlered and hithered in fur," it was because
I had seen the faces of presidents balled into a fist.
If I were in charge, I would know how to fix
the world: free health care or free physicals,
at least, and an abiding love for the abstract.
When I said, "All of history is saved for us,"
it was because I scorned the emancipated sky.
Does the anthem choke you up? When I asked
God if anyone born to slaves would die
a slave, He said: "Sure as a rock descending
a hillside." That's why I'm not a Christian.

No comments:

Post a Comment