Sunday, May 1, 2011

Fire and Brimstone - Dj Quik



This is my favorite track of Quik's new album The Book of David. The drum pattern is intoxicating.  You're going to like this (I hope).

Download: The Book of David

The Divergence of Two Legends

Not to bring in an outside discussion but I think Quik's standing as an influential west coast producer warrants the comparison.  What Quik brings to this album is what another west coast producer used to bring: innovation  (this is and has not always been the case with Quik either).  Perhaps it is due to overhype; these things happen, but unfortunately (and I think I'm speaking for quite a few fans) Dr. Dre's singles have been largely underwhelming.  We have I Need a Doctor which sounds like Alex de Kids is trying to craft his own patent Khalil beat (similar to many found on Recovery) and Kush which while I admired the smoothness of the mixing did not impress (an Akon feature really?).  I have hopes for the Kendrick Lamar feature but other than that I don't expect much for Detox.

I don't want to misrepresent Quik's The Book of David, as it does have its faults and contains plenty of borish  gangsterish braggadocio, but what I like about this album is that it is the quintessential Quik I grew up on but the production has evolved.  It is not just a regurgitation of whatever popular production styles are dominating the charts right now.  It is his project the whole way through wherein he is willing to take risks.  Dre's hyper self-consciousness has long been blamed for the delay of Detox but we have applauded Dre for his willingness to take risk.  And almost every time the risk has paid off.  In 2011, we have a scared Andre Young, afraid to push music forward, unwilling to damage his legacy.  Quik, of equal laudatory praise for his contribution to hip hop (this is an overstatement but he is a legend in his own right) is able to operate outside of this because he is a legend in relative obscurity.

No comments:

Post a Comment